Budapest's hot springs have left a huge underground caving system which can be visited through an underground walk.
Let us guide you into Budapest's stalactite world and visit two caves in Buda Hills.
Click here for full description
Highlights and Themes
- Budapest's natural cave system
- Geological history of the region
- Visit to 2 caves, both paved and equipped with artificial lightning
- Explorer's routes where no other tour goes
- Small group tour with an expert guide
38 € Adults
35 € Students (with a valid student card)
This tour is not suitable for children under the age of 5 years and 115 cm. Minimum 2 people require per booking.
Please note that this is a small-group English speaking expert guided tour with special routes and assistance in both caves. The caves are also open to the public and organize regular tours in Hungarian.
Inclusions: Caving entry fee to 2 caves, professional English speaking expert caving guide for the tour
Exclusions: Transport to and from the meeting point, no food or drink is included but available.
See booking terms, conditions and cancellation points.
All year round
10:15 - Wednesday, Saturday
At the Szemlő-hegyi Cave, 1025 Budapest, Pusztaszeri út 35
Conclusion Point: At the Pál-völgyi Caves - 1025 Budapest, Szépvölgyi str 162.
Bus nr 65 stops near the cave entrance and goes back to Kolosy Square.
Directions from the city center by public transportation:
From Pest downtown:
Catch bus nr. 9 towards 'Óbuda, Bogdáni út' (Bus nr. 9 has several stops in the central area of Budapest, you can catch it from the Kalvin Square, Astoria, Deak Ferenc Square, St. Stephen's Basilica, Arany Janos Street, Nyugati Railway Station etc.)
You need to get off from the bus at Kolosy Square.
Walk down on the Lajos street until you reach Szepvolgyi Street and turn to the right.
Walk 100 meters until you reach the bus terminal. From Kolosy Square you should catch bus nr. 29 and get off at 'Szemlő-hegyi Barlang', 5 stops from Kolosy Square.
Please note that the buses only stop if someone wants to get off - you can ask the bus driver remind you when you reach your destination.
Public transport tickets: please buy them in advance. 1 single ticket is valid for 1 journey. If you change busses, you need to validate a new ticket.
The travel time from the city center to the caves is about 45 minutes by public transport.
Full Tour Description
Duration: 3 hours
Many people know that Hungary is a country blessed with an abundance of thermal springs. But few people are aware, that these same medicinal waters have carved a deep and intricate cave system under the city over the course of millions of years.
In Hungary, of the 4131 known caves, 99% allow no entry in order to protect and preserve their natural condition. Luckily for us, here in Budapest there are two main caves with public access and both nestle within the beautiful Buda Hills. Our professional English speaking guides (who are all members of the Hungarian Caving Association) will take you hiking on routes unique to this tour, walking along comfortable concrete walkways and stairs.
We start with a visit to Szemlő-hegyi Cave known as "the under ground flower garden of Budapest", a tribute to the spectacular formations of pisolite and gypsum crystals. The mineral laden waters have created forms such as "popcorn", "pea stones" and "cauliflowers", with these covering the walls and made even more beautiful by the illuminations.
Because the caves enjoy a steady temperature of 12 degrees Celsius, with dust and allergen free air, along with 100% humidity, at it lowest level there is a respiratory sanatorium.
From here we take a pleasant walk (about 1km) to the next site, Pál-völgyi Cave. It's the longest cave system in Hungary at around 31 km and is known for its lofty passageways and great level differences. Thanks to the heated water flowing through the limestone hills, you'll find stunning stalactite and stalagmite formations, glittering calcite-crystals. Audiophiles take note as you will experience the famous Theatre Hall, renowned as an echo chamber with its impressive acoustics. The tour concludes with a peek at the quarry from one of the caves many hidden exits.
Booking Terms, Conditions and Cancellation Points:
- The temperature in the caves remains at a constant 12 °C (54 °F) all year, so guests should wear warm casual clothes. The caves are dry during the year. Wearing comfortable hiking or closed-toe sport shoes are recommended, flip flops, high heels are not suitable and guests will forfeit their participations without refund.
- Guests must sign a waiver form to participate on this tour.
- Refreshments are not included but available.
- Participants must be able to walk up and down several flights of steep stairs without difficulty. Unfortunately, due to the nature of this caving tour, it's not possible for us to accommodate people with limited mobility
- Supplier not responsible for unforeseen delays or accidents. Guests must sign a waiver form to participate on this tour.
- Anyone suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be rejected to do the tour, without refund.
- Minimum 2 people per booking required.
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund. No show or non-participation on the tour will not be refunded.